Re: [ontolog-forum] Practical onomastics...

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Jack Park <jackpark@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 21 May 2010 05:34:15 -0700
David,    (01)

I get the part about ontologies being useful. Adam Cheyer and I
coauthored a paper titled "Just For Me: Topic Maps and Ontologies",
several years back when, on the CALO project, we observed that office
workers were having difficulties relating to terminology in the
ontology supplied to CALO. As has been stated in this forum from time
to time, different names for things, at least, facilitating handling
those different names is of value if ontologies are to be accepted in
the workplace.    (02)

I also get that sometimes, a name string is, itself, a subject. In
some brain ontologies, brain parts are frequently named due to some
author, some date, that is, names are based on citations. There, you
are not scoping the string based on some language code but instead on
another subject.    (03)

Reading this thread, end to end, I'm not certain that my original
comment has been covered. Then again, I can be dense at times. I'm
sitting in Seoul right now, installing a platform for studying climate
change; perhaps it's jet lag.    (04)

Jack    (05)