Re: [ontolog-forum] Practical onomastics...

To: ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
From: "John F. Sowa" <sowa@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 20 May 2010 13:43:07 -0400
On 5/20/2010 11:54 AM, Ed Barkmeyer wrote:
> I agree with Doug on almost all points below.  (I should, since
> I said many of the same things.)    (01)

I also agree with most of the comments on this thread, and I'd like
to make some observations:    (02)

  1. There is no such thing as an ideal naming convention that can
     be systematically applied to anything and everything.    (03)

  2. Every naming convention is context dependent, although some
     contexts are larger than others.    (04)

  3. Every convention proposed as a globally unique naming
     convention has been modified many times over and eventually
     accepted as yet another context-dependent convention.    (05)

The proof of point #1 is simple:  the number of bits required to
assign a unique name to everything in the universe would require
an even larger universe to store the names.  Therefore, most
things in our universe cannot be assigned unique names that
can be stored in our universe.    (06)

John Sowa    (07)