Re: [ontolog-forum] Practical onomastics...

To: "'[ontolog-forum] '" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Matthew West" <dr.matthew.west@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 19 May 2010 22:53:23 +0100
Dear John,    (01)

> Additional considerations:
> (For now, let's just consider one size of empty test tubes that
> are assigned additional information when they are used in a
> particular process.)
>
> 1. How is the location (or ownership) of each test tube tracked?    (02)

MW: Why do you care. Surely you only care how many test tubes are in a
particular place. Why would you want to know which particular ones?

> 2. If an enterprise has remote access to the lab processes, how
>     would that affect namings? Would there be UI's for enterprise
>     resources and simplier nams for local resources?    (03)

MW: Why would they care either?

> 3. Once a test tube is in use (or later discarded), how does the
>     naming or identification change?    (04)

MW: I agree with Ed that you might label a test tube if it was used as a
container. But the label would not identify the test tube, but the contents,
about which you might care.

> 4. Where are the names stored in the ontology? What are the
>     guidelines for using names with the ontology?    (05)

MW: Why give yourself the problem? I'm not saying you can't do it, but why
would you and can you point to anywhere where it is actually done (never
mind ontologies, just look at business practice).    (06)

Regards    (07)

Matthew West
Information  Junction
Tel: +44 560 302 3685
Mobile: +44 750 3385279
matthew.west@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
http://www.informationjunction.co.uk/
http://www.matthew-west.org.uk/    (08)

This email originates from Information Junction Ltd. Registered in England
and Wales No. 6632177.
Registered office: 2 Brookside, Meadow Way, Letchworth Garden City,
Hertfordshire, SG6 3JE.    (09)