Re: [ontolog-forum] Practical onomastics...

To: "'[ontolog-forum] '" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Rich Cooper" <rich@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 19 May 2010 15:09:48 -0700
David, well spoken.  There is also the cost issue - in the real world,
sterile test tubes cost money, and the high rate of volume we are expecting
makes it add up to real money.  The exact point in the work flow at which
those identities are made unique is far more complex than just the
scientific issues at hand.  Labor optimization to feed the tubes in, and
take the product and waste out, is also a cost-sensitive issue in work flow
design.  That impacts when the individual tubes are identified uniquely.      (01)

So the EVENT at which the tubes become identified, or named, or keyed, has
work flow and cost issues that will be at least as complicated as the
scientific issues.  The scientific view will be only a projection of data
from the real ontology; so will the cost views.  They have to be calculated
from the same real world database.      (02)

Expect real world databases to have all kinds of other complexities too.  So
the design criteria for a scientific ontology ought to be based on a wide
variety of use cases, though the scientific view of the database can be
extracted from that real world database.  But don't count on pushing the
data in the opposite direction without considering all those "extraneous"
conditions that will arise; they will impact the scientific view in
unexpected ways.      (03)

Choice of binding time (identifying, naming, whatever term you choose)
significantly affects database processes, depends on the economics of the
plant, and has to be understood as a use case class.      (04)

I think the best way to handle it is to define binding events capable of
supporting the various binding times.  When the box/case/assembly comes into
receiving, it should be bound to an identifier.  When the box/.. is opened
and made available for withdrawing partial lots, a new event definition is
needed in the ontology.  When each partial lot is extracted, still another
kind of event should be defined in the ontology.      (05)

Sincerely,
Rich Cooper
EnglishLogicKernel.com
Rich AT EnglishLogicKernel DOT com