Re: [ontolog-forum] Practical onomastics...

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: David Eddy <deddy@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 19 May 2010 14:54:01 -0400
Ed/John -    (01)

On May 19, 2010, at 2:14 PM, Ed Barkmeyer wrote:    (02)

> Once these groups are
> delivered to their individual stations, the group loses meaning.    (03)

Maybe... depends on the level of identification (not necessarily the
same as naming) needed for the task the test tubes are being used for.    (04)

I had a conversation once with someone about "rare earths" (not that
I really know what they are).  Their database needed to track back to
which mine a rare earth came from... seems that rare earths from Mine
A used in a manufacturing process didn't work so well, while those
from Mine B did.  After thousands of manufacturing steps failure was
determined by some trace element from a particular site on the earth
vs another.    (05)

I could certainly foresee the potential for individually identifying
(tube #12 from box #123-45-6789) every tube... say if you're doing
some super sensitive test in the tube.  At some point it might be
necessary to track back to the box, the manufacturer & the
manufacturing batch.    (06)

I would certainly want to have more information about the needs for
identifying vs naming.  Do we just need to keep track of the 10,000
test tubes? Or do we want to be able to see—or not—that John Smith's
blood is in this tube?    (07)

Or is identification & naming assumed to be the same thing?    (08)

David Eddy
deddy@xxxxxxxxxxxxx    (09)

781-455-0949    (010)