Re: [ontolog-forum] Practical onomastics...

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Ed Barkmeyer <edbark@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 19 May 2010 14:14:15 -0400
FWIW, I think the solution is likely to be somewhere between Matthew's
view, which I support, and Rich's view, which is probably overkill for
the situation.    (01)

I think the groups of 12 test tubes need temporary identifiers, because
they have different routings, but the individual test tubes don't.  (And
I can guarantee that empty test tubes will not have any kind of label on
them when they come out of the shipping package.)  Once these groups are
delivered to their individual stations, the group loses meaning.  The
station merely has some number of empty/unused test tubes on hand.    (02)

When the test tube is used, it acquires identity according to the
situation of use, and if it is set aside with content, good laboratory
practice demands that it have a label, with all the necessary
information -- at least content and date, and possibly other info.
There may, however, be four such tubes with the same information in the
same locker.  They are not conceptually distinct, but they are likely to
acquire artificial identities (database keys) in the tracking system, to
ensure that there are 4 in the list.    (03)

When the test tube is set aside without content, it becomes "dirty"
possibly with some notation as to what was in it, and goes into a group
of test tubes that are in the same state relative to cleaning
procedures.  In that situation, it loses identity -- the group only has
a count.  Once cleaned it becomes one of a counted group of empty/clean
test tubes on hand without identifiers.  If it gets broken, there is
just one less test tube in whatever group, although if it is broken with
content, cleaning up the spill becomes a work item.    (04)

Rich's protocols apply to objects that are individually tracked, either
because they have asset value as individuals, or because they acquire
specific properties and value the moment they come out of the package.
In semiconductor fabs, for example, mundane elements like the cartridges
that hold the product "wafers" have identifiers on them, because they
are tracked when they have content on the floor, and they have source
lots and usage histories even when they are being held in
empty/available state, because they are retired/scrapped after certain
amounts and kinds of usages.     (05)

It all comes down to Doug's observation that the identity practices are
tightly coupled to the usage behaviors and concerns, and/or to standard
practice in the trade or in the organization.  Some organizational
practices are not as good as they should be, and some traditional
practices in some disciplines are archaic, because their original
purpose no longer exists.  And John did refer to this as PRACTICAL
onomastics.    (06)

-Ed    (07)

John Bottoms wrote:
> For your considerations:
>
> A shipment of test tubes has arrived at the lab and the head
> robot has taken possession of the box. There are a gross in the
> cardboard box which has an assigned UI to facilitate shipping.
>
> Each (other) robot will receive a dozen test tubes for their work
> tomorrow.
>
> What are the practical naming and entailed support considerations
> for each test tube?
>
> -John Bottoms
>   FirstStar Systems
>   Concord, MA
>   T: 978-505-9878

>       (08)

Gaithersburg, MD 20899-8263                FAX: +1 301-975-4694    (09)

 and have not been reviewed by any Government authority."    (010)