ontolog-forum
[Top] [All Lists]

Re: [ontolog-forum] Semantic Systems

To: "[ontolog-forum] " <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 4 Jul 2009 11:58:40 +0100
Message-id: <B4C7F49C-74A3-4DBD-9F1D-D457737139C4@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Dear Chris,

You make my point.  Let me explain lest we continue to inhabit parallel never meeting worlds.

On Jun 30 Ronald Stamper wrote:

Perhaps I have misunderstood the discussion but it appears to concern the use of languages, especially forms of logic, to solve problems of meaning.

You can do that with FOL provided that you are prepared to deal only with the self-contained world to which it gives access.

CM: I have no idea what you mean by a "self-contained world", but there are no restrictions whatsoever on the subject matter that can be represented in FOL (though it may not be the most appropriate logic for certain domains, e.g., quantum mechanics).

RS responds: Exactly: the use of ( , ), and, or, not etc are restricted but you can freely insert any names for predicates, P, Q, R, . . . or individuals x, y, z, . . . etc, that you choose.  The former have meanings in a purely syntactic sense supplied by the rules for forming and manipulating expressions containing them.  The symbols for predicates and individuals have no meanings within the logical language. 

No amount of manipulating logical expressions will connect them to anything in any real or imaginary world.  Such connections (meanings in the sense that interests me), if any, are supplied when readers imagine those names connect to real or imaginary predicates or individuals.  FOL imposes no restrictions on those imaginings: that’s its weakness semantically (in the sense that interests me).  One cannot step outside the self-contained world of FOL without the imaginative interpreter of the logically meaningless symbols. 

RS; Kowalsik put it clearly on p.9 of his book “Logic for Problem Solving”:

‘It follows that it is unnecessary to talk about meaning at all.  All talk about meaning can be re-expressed in terms of logical implication.’

To us this declared their retreat into either a world of pure symbol manipulation or a rarefied Platonic reality accessible to some privileged minds.

CM:  I suspect you are grossly misinterpreting the remark.  I don't have

the book in question, but one natural, and fairly innocuous, interpretation is simply that the meaning of a sentence (in a given theory) is characterized by the set of sentences it logically implies.  This is more or less the axiomatic approach to ontologies.

RS responds:  Make no mistake, I admire Kowalski and happily discussed this problem with him.  In different words he told me the same thing face to face, at least a couple of times.   In his concern with the programming of computers, his position is quite correct.  But anyone concerned with running a steel works or administering an arm of government would be foolish to adopt that position.

A manager says of a stock report: “I don’t know what this means.” or a judge says the same of a day’s evidence.  Would you instruct either of them, “Simply look for the set of sentences these logically imply.”?  As stockyard manager you would get the boot or as counsel you would teeter on the brink of contempt of court.

RS:  So: no semantics without ontology     (RS emphasises: I use ‘ontology’ in the metaphysical sense of a commitment to what exists.)

CM:  Well, that depends on the kind of semantics you have in mind.  If your purpose is simply to provide a semantics for the basic operators of FOL — which is all the basic model theory of FOL purports to do — then you don't really need any specific ontology at all.

RS responds:  Exactly, I agree.  If your priority is the manipulation of logical formulae using a computer, then a semantics for its basic operators will suffice together with an ontology that presumes that nothing else exists but the logical constants and symbols with no constant meaning WITHIN the language.  But I want to help run steel works and administer the law and I know that managers, judges and others involved in most practical affairs need to know who supplies the information they use, whether they can be trusted, what intentions may lie behind their choice of words, what they might omit . . . etc. 

I’m all in favour of logic but we need something more.  So I suggested

RS:  and no semantics without responsible agents.

RS adds:  because without them, we have no bridge between the other symbols and what they stand for.  And if those agents are not responsible and open to cross examination and character references, we can place little trust in anything generated by even the best and most reliable logic engine.

CM:  Simply false for the semantics of first-order logic.  Perhaps true if you have a different notion of semantics in mind.

RS:  Exactly!  That other notion of semantics is the one that interests me. 

RS:  For work on semantics, do we not need a kind of logic that keeps the agents in the picture?

RS adds:  That’s why I’ve struggled with ontology of a rather different kind from that dominating the discussions related to the Semantic Web.

CM:  Again, it depends on what you mean by "semantics".  There is so much that falls under that term that the question as it stands is simply ill-formed.  This literature on logic-based approaches to agency is absolutely huge.

RS: I believe that our discussion has made it clear that we should contend with at least two different meanings of “meaning” and of “semantics”. A veritable army of scholars has resolved the semantics of logical formalisms, especially during the last century.  Scholarly work on the kind of semantics that interests me – linking signs to real things – is vast, varied, fascinating and challenging but yet shows little sign or resolution.  The literature on software agents is irrelevant; I’m concerned with responsible agents, including the authors of the software but not with their ‘mechantical devices. 

Hence I have chosen to work from a new(ish) ontology towards a logical formalism,

RS:  one that starts from responsibility and existence as primitives and then leads to truth and falsity as derived concepts.   I guess that it will resemble FOL with a twist.

Maybe.  Show us a theory. 

RS:  Happily!  If you are seriously interested in this other semantics and I’ll also show you some of the practice – it works well for developing and designing information systems.  The notion of ontological dependency is well developed but the logical formalism needs lots more work. 

Thanks for you comments.  As a minor disciple of Popper I always seek refutations but I must agree with John Sowa that I would not, in other respects, swap Peirce for Popper.  Semiotics plays an even more important role in the work we have been doing.

Ronald

-chris

On 3 Jul 2009, at 17:30, Christopher Menzel wrote:

On Jun 30, 2009, at 2:43 PM, Ronald Stamper wrote:
Perhaps I have misunderstood the discussion but it appears to  
concern the use of languages, especially forms of logic, to solve  
problems of meaning.

You can do that with FOL provided that you are prepared to deal only  
with the self-contained world to which it gives access.

I have no idea what you mean by a "self-contained world", but there  
are no restrictions whatsoever on the subject matter that can be  
represented in FOL (though it may not be the most appropriate logic  
for certain domains, e.g., quantum mechanics).
Kowalsik put it clearly on p.9 of his book “Logic for Problem  
Solving”:

‘It follows that it is unnecessary to talk about meaning at all.   
All talk about meaning can be reexpressed in terms of logical  
implication.’

To us this declared their retreat into either a world of pure  
symbol manipulation or a rarefied Platonic reality accessible to  
some privileged minds.

I suspect you are grossly misinterpreting the remark.  I don't have  
the book in question, but one natural, and fairly innocuous,  
interpretation is simply that the meaning of a sentence (in a given  
theory) is characterized by the set of sentences it logically  
implies.  This is more or less the axiomatic approach to ontologies.
So: no semantics without ontology

Well, that depends on the kind of semantics you have in mind.  If your  
purpose is simply to provide a semantics for the basic operators of  
FOL — which is all the basic model theory of FOL purports to do — then  
you don't really need any specific ontology at all.
and no semantics without responsible agents.

Simply false for the semantics of first-order logic.  Perhaps true if  
you have a different notion of semantics in mind.
For work on semantics, do we not need a kind of logic that keeps the  
agents in the picture?

Again, it depends on what you mean by "semantics".  There is so much  
that falls under that term that the question as it stands is simply  
ill-formed.  This literature on logic-based approaches to agency is  
absolutely huge.
one that starts from responsibility and existence as primitives and  
then leads to truth and falsity as derived concepts.   I guess that  
it will resemble FOL with a twist.

Maybe.  Show us a theory.

-chris

Shared Files: http://ontolog.cim3.net/file/
Community Wiki: http://ontolog.cim3.net/wiki/
To join: http://ontolog.cim3.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?WikiHomePage#nid1J
To Post: mailto:ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Shared Files: http://ontolog.cim3.net/file/
Community Wiki: http://ontolog.cim3.net/wiki/ 
To join: http://ontolog.cim3.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?WikiHomePage#nid1J
To Post: mailto:ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx    (01)

<Prev in Thread] Current Thread [Next in Thread>