Re: [ontolog-forum] Semantic Systems

To: "'[ontolog-forum] '" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Rich Cooper" <rich@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 11 Jul 2009 17:23:43 -0700

FK>   RC> Objection!  Contrast is by definition a comparison.  Ordinarily, it means comparison with neighboring pixels, against frequency buckets, comparison against memory settings, all forms of identity (IMHO) resulting from a comparison function's unique positioning of that identity within a domain of all such identities.

FK:>    This is why now it was high time to see that no ontology is correct without mental operations identified within the FO language system, of which abstraction is one operation that results in a property.

Whoah – why does ABSTRACTION result in a “property” of the thing so abstracted, instead of in another abstraction slightly more smudged than the first abstraction from the original?  Why not choose a property only after at least three repeats of the same absractions, or best two out of three double abstractions?  Please justify this construction.  But it sounds interesting!

-Rich

Comparison is done on two objects which may be either a hit or a match output with respect to each other.

Set ordering aficionados out there would also like to have at the very least a LessThan and a GreaterThan result from comparisons, but the more expressive constants (JustNotEqual, PlausiblyEqual, FuzzilyLike, CouldPossiblyBe, …) would also be useful to some researchers.  The point is that the COMPARISON function you choose impacts whether you enable a single ordering, multikey ordering, the choice of ascending or descending ordering, and other considerations that are of prime interest in very many practical applications.

-Rich

If they are a hit, then they have a property in common in terms of form, and they are a match, if their content is also common.

Just the few comparison result constants used here - LessThan, Equal, GreaterThan, NotLessThan, NotEqual, NotGreatThan - and their logical combinations – JustNoMore - exhaust my vocabulary but shades of preferences based on multiple property-value comparisons can lead to arbitrarily subtle distinctions.  For every dimension, for every pair of dimensions, and probably for every triple of dimensions, there are pluralities of comparison functions that establish unique, monotonic gradients on objects based on the objects’ immutable properties.

But this is a cause for ordering.  If they match, they are equal, but if they don’t, is one “>” or “<” the other?  Property value pairs for the same property may (OR MAY NOT) be ordered in some rational way.  Any rational ordering implies that there is a comparison function which calculates the basis property value pair for each of the two Things.

FK> The operation caled abstraction is a folding operation which enables you to see the same thing or object as an association on the level of two existences, namely specific and abstract, and you can switch between the two aspects, as you can transfer across the existing connections as you like. <snip/> Folding means that we transfer something or some person in focus from one place to another. It also means the change itself, when or where something is moved from one person or place to another, that is the operation that happens when something is transferred. We do not know what is happening in reality in our brains, therefore we call for an analogy, as a usual device in any similar situation @ontolog.cim3.net

Sincerely,

Rich Cooper

EnglishLogicKernel.com

Rich AT EnglishLogicKernel DOT com