Re: [ontolog-forum] ISO merged ontology effort "MCO"

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "John F. Sowa" <sowa@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 13 Apr 2009 23:09:40 -0400
Ron,    (01)

Dream on!    (02)

RW> $30,000,000 for 100 people is $300,000 per person,
 > so the project runs for a few years.    (03)

The major complaint about Cyc is that the full Cyc with all the
axioms is proprietary.  But I'm sure that for much, much less
than $30 million, Lenat & Co. would be delighted to transfer
the full Cyc ontology + axioms + tools into free open source.
As a result, you would get a very large ontology to work with
very quickly plus a lot of useful tools.    (04)

(That would not mean that Cycorp would go out of business,
because their consulting business would skyrocket, and that
sudden influx of cash would enable them to hire more people
to develop new stuff, which they could charge money for.)    (05)

I'm sure that people who criticize Cyc might think that they
could develop something better than Cyc.  Perhaps.  But there's
no guarantee that it would be better, it might be worse, and it
would certainly take a lot more time.    (06)