Re: [ontolog-forum] Ockham

To: "John F. Sowa" <sowa@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Richard H. McCullough" <rhm@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 7 Apr 2009 21:31:08 -0700
From: "John F. Sowa" <sowa@xxxxxxxxxxx>    (01)

> Dick,
>
> The mapping, by humans, from a word to reality is impossible
> to specify formally.  Don't do it.  Any attempt to pile up
> a vague cloud of words is *not* a specification.  It is just
> a totally useless, totally confusing pile of words.  It is
> even worse than useless, because some people might get
> confused into thinking that the pile of words is useful.

How about a real mapping, instead of a formal mapping.
I'll stick to the example "John F. Sowa is a human."     (02)

I can go on the internet and Google "John F. Sowa".
I can find out where he lives, and see him with my own eyes.
I can tell whether he is human or not.    (03)

Alternatively, if you're looking for a more "social" solution,
you can ask a panel of humans if "John F. Sowa is a human."?
Isn't that the essence of shared knowledge?    (04)

Dick McCullough
http://mkrmke.org    (05)