Re: [ontolog-forum] standard ontology

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Ron Wheeler <rwheeler@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 21 Feb 2009 10:03:59 -0500
If I were reviewing a proposal for YAO, I would be asking, "What about
all the other ontologies that we already have paid for? Hundreds exist.
How is this new project going to impact them? Which ones become
obsolete? Which ones are going to be improved or reduced in size with
this new project? Which of the owners/authors of the existing government
paid-for ontologies are supporting this request? Why are the others not
supporting it?"    (01)

The question about the cost/benefit of opening Cyc completely also needs
to be addressed. I do not think that I have ever seen a clear statement
about the size/nature of the problem with the proprietary part of Cyc
but it seems to be an irritant to people. I am sure that money alone can
fix this.    (02)

These are not unanswerable questions and I hope that the FO's wiki/web
site/project page will soon address them.    (03)

Ron    (04)