Re: [ontolog-forum] standard ontology

To: "'[ontolog-forum] '" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Patrick Cassidy" <pat@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 22 Feb 2009 00:44:57 -0500
Ron,
  Please see interpolated comments    (01)

Patrick Cassidy
MICRA, Inc.
908-561-3416
cell: 908-565-4053
cassidy@xxxxxxxxx    (02)

[[PC]] Where the hell did you ever get the notion that I or anyone else
holds that view?  Please try to keep the discussion on a professional level.
These meaningless sarcastic comments are one of the principle problems
retarding effective discussion in groups like this.    (03)

> The form of the information should be irrelevant if it is "correct" and
> able to be understood by machines.
> I understand that the transformation from one format to another may not
> solve all of the problems in using an existing ontology in a new
> application but if it is not easy to do then ontology is a rather
> useless endeavour to begin with.
[[PC]] No, no, no.  Translation from one language to another requires more
than syntactic transformation, it requires that the translator understand
the meanings of the individual elements (unless there is a
context-independent one-to-one translation o words or fixed phrases), so
that complex combinations in one language can be translated into complex
combinations in the other language, dependent on the meaning and not simply
reducible to syntactic transformation.    (04)

> If the truth is tied to the
> representation so tightly that it can not be extracted and recast in
> another representation, it is hard to imagine any way to use it.

[[PC]] The truth is tied to the language, but you have to know the language
in order to extract it.  When there are multiple ontology languages
(language = syntax *plus* vocabulary), translation requires knowledge of
both languages and the equivalences between them.    (05)

> What is the problem of building a community of users? It doesn't sound
> like a shortage of ontologies or ontologists.
> It sounds like a shortage of tools and practical uses for the ones we
> have.

[[PC]] Look, academics and industrial organizations both are paid and
rewarded to do things that no one else has ever done.  They use each other's
work, but large collaborative efforts with distributed credit for any
accomplishment will not be their first choice.  There is nothing wrong with
this, and the local research group  serves very well in many sciences.  In
the case of an FO intended to serve as a common computer language for a
large community, however, some large community will have to use it for it to
serve its purpose.  We know now from past experience that there has not been
enough incentive (e.g. in the form of exciting applications) to make any
large group adopt one of the existing ones.  Providing money to collaborate
creates two incentives not now existing: (1) funding to support and possibly
expand their research group; and (2) a realistic hope that there will be
some group of significant size using the same ontology, so it will have some
potential for supporting interoperability, and they will have a community
from which they can learn and who will be interested in the results of their
own work within that particular paradigm of meaning.   There is no problem
building a community if the funding is available; without funding there
needs to be an alternative motivation to push past the natural
individualistic researchers' inhibitions to large collaborations.    (06)

> Perhaps, instead of arguing endlessly around the edges of the problem,
> we might better serve humanity by discussing what is wrong with the
> tools or whatever the reasons are that hold back the development of
> "killer" applications.
> Would $30 million on better tools[[PC]]  . . .    (07)

[[PC]]   NO, no, no.  Tools are a part of any system but the essence of the
interoperability problem is agreement on using the same ontology to
represent meaning.  The ontology content is almost completely independent of
the tools, provided that the logic has at least FOL expressivity    (08)

[R] . . . and demonstration applications or
> prototypes move the process on a bit faster?

Yes, yes, yes.  Demos and prototypes are essential to encourage adoption.
But they are very complex to build (how about CALO's 200M+ demo?? -  still
not available for public inspection after 5 years) and unless there are a
substantial number of users with different viewpoints, one cannot
demonstrate that any ontology will support *broad* semantic
interoperability.  The most important point of the FO project is indeed to
demonstrate the utility of an FO for semantic interoperability, but we need
a community in which to demonstrate it.  We know from many discussions such
as this, over the past fifteen years, that such a community will not form
without funding.    (09)

Pat    (010)