Re: [ontolog-forum] standard ontology

To: "'[ontolog-forum] '" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Patrick Cassidy" <pat@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 22 Feb 2009 10:00:07 -0500
John,
   Just one point stands out here:    (01)

[JS] > To commercialize that (and other) technology, those three authors
founded the company Ontology Works, which is doing quite well by developing
applications, not asking for grants.    (02)

Interesting. The last time I inquired, Ontology Works was making almost all
their money from government contracts.  On the other hand, JS claimed that
Cyc 'failed' because it depended on government contracts, though that
situation has changed to where Cyc now gets most of its money from private
contracts.  But according to JS, Ontology Works hasn't "failed".  Perhaps
there is a resolution to this apparent discrepancy?    (03)

By the way, I do like Ontology Works system.  It has a good interface and
good explanations of the logical derivations.  Unless something else is
developed, it is the system I would prefer to use for inferencing, for a
local project.  Unfortunately, it is still somewhat expensive and not
open-source.  I do hope they flourish.    (04)

Pat    (05)

Patrick Cassidy
MICRA, Inc.
908-561-3416