Re: [ontolog-forum] standard ontology

To: ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
From: "Conklin, Don" <don.conklin@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 20 Feb 2009 19:58:36 -0700
Pat,    (01)

I'll start from the end of your last post. There is little point in repeatedly
referring to lost productivity on a grand scale when there is no one concerned
about it who has the resources to address it. The closest match would require a
call to 202-456-1414, ask for Obama. Good luck with that.    (02)

My experiences with DOD affirm your comment in that they want an order of
magnitude advance from semantic technologies. But the hard truth is that the
more tightly a domain is focused, the more a relational DB solution will equal,
or better a semantic solution. At much less cost and difficulty.     (03)

The DOD entities I've dealt with typically seek to integrate some number of
relational DB's, sometimes with unstructured data. But within a fairly tight
domain (yes, there is a range to the domain focus).     (04)

Interoperability, while given much lip service, lags the commercial world. The
DOD XML Registry was going to be the solution...still waiting on that one. By
the way, where is the ontology repository and how capable is it?     (05)

Fielding large scale, operational semantic systems is not yet feasible because
the supporting infrastructure is not in place. For example, look in the Sunday
paper job ads for oracle DB administrators. Then look for ontologist ads...     (06)

Unfortunately, as it takes money to make money, success breeds success. Fielded
semantic systems that work will garner more funds for the application of those
technologies.    (07)

It would be great if the federal government CIO announced a major drive to
develop and field semantic technologies. I'm not holding my breath and he is a
lot more worried about the next windows virus that decimates federal PC's.    (08)

It will take a near gorilla campaign of small successful semantic projects time
to prove themselves while the supporting infrastructure matures.     (09)

The same way that Apple makes sound loops available in garage bands for
neophytes to compose into music may be a model for non-ontologists to grab
pertinent ontologies to compose into domain ontologies. Then there will be a
customer pull for the techologies often discussed here.    (010)

This was a hellofa long email to type on a blackberry. Good thing my flight was
delayed.    (011)

Don    (012)