Re: [ontolog-forum] standard ontology

To: "[ontolog-forum] " <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Richard H. McCullough" <rhm@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 20 Feb 2009 13:22:19 -0800
John    (01)

I agree with your conclusions.
I would like to make a few related comments.    (02)

1. Occam's razor says to avoid creating unnecessary concepts.
The typical upper ontology is cluttered with unused concepts,
because it includes many contexts.  For example, the lattice
in Figure 2.6 and 2.7 of your "Knowledge Representation" book
combines all possible combinations of three attributes
    independent/relative/mediating
    physical/abstract
    continuant/occurrent
which distinguish three different ways of viewing existents.    (03)

2. Humans use context to determine the meaning of a concept,
and to ignore unnecessary concepts.    (04)

3. The mKR language & mKE program (see http://mkrmke.org)
are designed to support dynamic changes in the ontology depending
on context.  Very roughly speaking, mKR combines the features of
Controlled English, UNIX shell and CycL.  mKE includes an
OpenCyc interface.    (05)

Dick McCullough
Ayn Rand do speak od mKR done;
mKE do enhance od Real Intelligence done;
knowledge haspart proposition list;
http://mKRmKE.org/    (06)