Re: [ontolog-forum] what is open ontology?

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: paola.dimaio@xxxxxxxxx
Date: Tue, 22 Apr 2008 15:46:26 +0700
Jackub

I am aware of wikis as potential tools to support the creation of ontologies, but I am also aware of challenges. Do you have  examples that we could study?

PDM

On Tue, Apr 22, 2008 at 3:01 PM, Jakub Kotowski <jakubkotowski@xxxxxxx> wrote:
Paola,

paola.dimaio@xxxxxxxxx schrieb:
 > However a wiki is, in my view, still primarily a 'repository', not an
> 'ontology'

wiki is not an ontology but it can be used to create one. And not only
in the sense that you describe the ontology on wiki pages (by copying
and pasting there contents of an owl file for example). There already
exist semantic wikis that allow one to define relationships between
concepts by giving a type to a link. And there's more you can do in such
a wiki.

Jakub

> As such, I am interested in understanding the relationship between the
> architecture of a respository (say, a wiki type of tool) and the ontology
> itself (the repository independent part of the ontology, vocabularies,
> relationships and concepts, for example)
> In particular, I am interested in hearing about how a repository
> architecture may, or may not, meet the formalization requirements and how it
> may or may not influence the contents of the ontology itself
>
> PDM

Paola Di Maio
School of IT
www.mfu.ac.th