Re: [ontolog-forum] what is open ontology?

To: "[ontolog-forum] " <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "Pat Hayes" <phayes@xxxxxxx>
From: "Christopher Spottiswoode" <cms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 22 Apr 2008 10:08:08 +0200
Pat,    (01)

You had written in response to Wacek Kusnierczyk:    (02)

>>if you can't?  you know it is there, you know people use it, but
>>you can't read it, unless you pay, or unless you're
>>appropriately employed.
>
>And then its not open source. Its the source that is open, not
>the code. But this distinction doesnt apply to ontologies since
>(AFAIK) they don't get compiled to executables.    (03)

With MACK an AOS consists almost entirely of executably compiled
ontologies driven by interpretable ontologies (MACK "Forms", of
course).  So also do add-on applications.    (04)

You will start seeing that in the (truly non-mythical!) 4th
instalment of my "MACK basics" series (which I will post to the
list today, day jobs permitting...).    (05)

True, the MACK Form does provide for procedurally-coded - but
highly restricted! - functionality to be associated with it.
However, such functionality is so closely integrated into the
Form/ontology framework that it has to be regarded as part of the
ontology.  So if a coded component changes, that creates a new and
distinct Form/ontology component of which it is part.  (However,
thanks.to the MACK provision for usually automatic migration to
new versions, else via automatically-assisted negotiation, such
application evolution will usually be transparent and always
smooth, at least on the technical side.)    (06)

Though the first AOS I am aiming for ("Metaset") will be 100% free
and open source, in view of its almost completely generic nature,
I think it will be quite feasible to provide for closed, compiled
and chargeable add-on application components, though in a very
controlled way, for security's sake.    (07)

Furthermore, it should be more feasible to provide various forms
of provenance tracking and microbilling, to incentivize
open-source contributors, though all within the open-source and
free operating framework.    (08)

However, neither of those two provisions for non-free components
or applications are my priority right now.  (I mean that in the
usual "free beer" sense, not as in "free speech", the latter being
more nuanced.)    (09)

Finally, since there is this build-up to the OOR Summit, I might
just add that registry functionality is - or should be - a core
aspect of the market.  And as I have been emphasizing on the web
since 1996, "The market is a philosophical instrument in the
fullest sense, ever proposing and often validating new products as
better simplifications of reality."    (010)

Then that already much-cited 1996 web page closed with these two
rather portentous but still strongly true paragraphs (where the
"soon" promise is, as always, dependent on locating and teaming up
with collaborators who can see the big picture):    (011)

"I introduced the market first as a philosophical phenomenon and
then as a technological device. Of course it is commercial too. At
launch Metaset will have an information-product developer/user
market integrated with it, in support of the further bootstrapping
by the multi-developer market of Metaset and other MACK-compliant
products. It will seed an evolutionary growth process that will
promote both supply and demand, thus kick-starting a synergy
between them that will soon lead to the replacement of many
present software technologies. (And continue to rely heavily on
others!)
"The boosted information-product market will do the same for the
whole market. On the supply-side, the Civil Society phenomenon
will rise to a higher quantum level of accuracy and diversity
throughout the political economy. From the demand-side, more
convenient and congenial hence fuller democratic involvement will
ensure a more representative supply. Riding The Mainstream, every
consumer/citizen will genuinely supply. The medium will be the
message as never before."    (012)

However, to my great regret it is more than somewhat premature for
me to attend anythng like an OOR Summit...    (013)

Christopher    (014)