Re: [ontolog-forum] Axiomatic ontology

To: "[ontolog-forum] " <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Randall R Schulz <rschulz@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 2 Feb 2008 20:11:51 -0800
On Saturday 02 February 2008 19:47, Rob Freeman wrote:
> On Feb 2, 2008 11:17 PM, Randall R Schulz <rschulz@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > > Multi-body systems display these kinds of properties. Here are a
> > > couple of interesting links.

> > None of these things is even remotely applicable to or even
> > analogizeable to behaviors in digital information systems. If
> > chaotic phenomena are essential and irreplaceable aspects of
> > intelligent systems, then we're going to need to hybridize our
> > digital information systems with some kind of analog elements. Not
> > that I think that it _is_ essential to have chaos to have
> > intelligence, but if it were, digital system's wouldn't cut it.
>
> Why can't we model chaotic behaviour on a digital computer Randall?    (01)

Because digital computers cannot represent or process real numbers. The
behavioral model of almost every physical system requires
transcendental numbers (e, pi, various roots, logarithms, etc.) to
characterize it and digital computers can only approximate these
numbers or almost any other number that represents a physical quantity.    (02)

> Here's a page with some simple Java examples:
>
> http://www.cmp.caltech.edu/~mcc/Chaos_Course/Lesson1/Demo5.html    (03)

Those are just approximations. Their execution is deterministic and 100%
predictable and repeatable, no matter how long you run them, quite
unlike the physical (or purely mathematical) systems they puport to
model.    (04)

> -Rob    (05)

Randall Schulz    (06)