Re: [ontolog-forum] Axiomatic ontology

To: "[ontolog-forum] " <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Francis McCabe <frankmccabe@xxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 1 Feb 2008 19:18:42 -0800
Can't help but to butt in here ...
On Feb 1, 2008, at 5:23 PM, Randall R Schulz wrote:    (01)

> On Friday 01 February 2008 17:03, John F. Sowa wrote:
>>
>> For deep reasoning, I would insist on a representation in formal
>> logic.  But for commonsense reasoning, I believe that formal
>> deduction is not necessary.
>
> How does the moniker "common-sense" become an epithet for non-formal
> reasoning?
>
> Frankly, what is it that can be captured in a digital computer that is
> anything _but_ formal? Computers execute deterministic programs. When
> the algorithms are non-deterministic, they suffer the consequences
> of "guessing" until a ... (I was going to use the "f...t..l" word!)
> successful result is obtained.    (02)

<snip/>    (03)

Being deterministic is not the same as being predictable. Chaos Theory/
Fractals tells us that; as does the weather.    (04)

This is a canard that has fooled many folks; we do not need
probabilistic reasoning to get to interesting consequences...    (05)

Frank    (06)