Re: [ontolog-forum] Axiomatic ontology

To: "[ontolog-forum] " <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Randall R Schulz <rschulz@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 2 Feb 2008 07:17:51 -0800
On Friday 01 February 2008 22:14, Rob Freeman wrote:
> On Feb 2, 2008 1:47 PM, Randall R Schulz <rschulz@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > Chaotic behavior occurs only in continuous systems. Digital
> > computers are discrete, and that is not an incidental or
> > unimportant difference. Digital systems don't exhibit the phenomena
> > associated with nonlinear dynamics. There is no "sensitive
> > dependence on initial conditions," no "strange attractors," etc.
>
> Multi-body systems display these kinds of properties. Here are a
> couple of interesting links.

None of these things is even remotely applicable to or even
analogizeable to behaviors in digital information systems. If chaotic
phenomena are essential and irreplaceable aspects of intelligent
systems, then we're going to need to hybridize our digital information
systems with some kind of analog elements. Not that I think that it
_is_ essential to have chaos to have intelligence, but if it were,
digital system's wouldn't cut it.    (02)

> -Rob    (03)

Randall Schulz    (04)