Re: [ontolog-forum] Axiomatic ontology

To: "[ontolog-forum] " <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Randall R Schulz <rschulz@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 1 Feb 2008 18:35:14 -0800

> knowledge requires  different formalisms, and that's what we are
> trying to find out    (01)

Yes. But we're not trying to escape the need to formalize. Those that do
so are doomed to fail. It is flatly impossible.    (02)

> here we are discussing how to design applications layers that can
> function using  natural language and heuristic reasoning    (03)

Nonetheless, any heuristic executable on a digital computer is a
formalism.    (04)

> you want to call that 'guessing'? ...    (05)

Sorry. By "guessing" I mean trying possibilities defined by the
algorithm until one of those possibilities leads to success. This is
not what humans call guessing.    (06)

Randall Schulz    (07)