Re: [ontolog-forum] Axiomatic ontology

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Rob Freeman" <lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 2 Feb 2008 14:14:33 +0800
On Feb 2, 2008 1:47 PM, Randall R Schulz <rschulz@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Chaotic behavior occurs only in continuous systems. Digital computers
> are discrete, and that is not an incidental or unimportant difference.
> Digital systems don't exhibit the phenomena associated with nonlinear
> dynamics. There is no "sensitive dependence on initial conditions,"
> no "strange attractors," etc.    (01)

Multi-body systems display these kinds of properties. Here are a
couple of interesting links.    (02)

Firstly Giuseppe Vitiello talks about multi-body systems:    (03)

http://www.archive.org/details/Redwood_Center_2007_01_23_Giuseppe_Vitiello    (04)

Secondly W. J. Freeman talks about direct evidence of this kind of
behaviour from EEG studies:    (05)

http://sulcus.berkeley.edu/FLM/MS/Physio.Percept.html    (06)

I particularly like this comment by W. J. Freeman near the top of that article:    (07)

"This changeability is a prime characteristic of many chaotic systems.
It is not harmful in the brain. In fact, we propose it is the very
property that makes perception possible. We also speculate that chaos
underlies the ability of the brain to respond flexibly to the outside
world and to generate novel activity patterns, including those that
are experienced as fresh ideas."    (08)

-Rob    (09)