Re: [ontolog-forum] Axiomatic ontology

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "John F. Sowa" <sowa@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 05 Feb 2008 01:04:20 -0500
Ravi,    (01)

I agree with some points in your note, but qualify others.    (02)

 > Truth is often another name for a rigid belief, a Relative
 > and not Absolute entity in this Physical Universe, it is never
 > the same as it is always dynamic and spatially redistributed
 > at least as a function of time, etc., etc.    (03)

Some people who hold a rigid belief might call it truth, but
it's more likely to be an untested prejudice.    (04)

To be true, a proposition must state something that corresponds
to what actually exists outside the mind of the person who says it.    (05)

 > There is no a priori proof that there is a single truth but there
 > are probably many asymptotic convergent descriptions of observations,
 > experiences, phenomena and perceived realities that are repeatable.    (06)

I agree very strongly with that point.    (07)

 > THE HOPE FROM ONTOLOGIES IS THAT (as new formalisms) THESE WILL
 > CLARIFY RATHER THAN LIMIT OUR UNDERSTANDING, EVEN IF NOT SOLVABLE
 > BY SINGLE NOTATION OR EQUATIONS, AND WILL FORM AN ENGINE FOR BETTER
 > DEFINITIONS (understanding) IN NOT ONLY PHYSICS, BUT BIOLOGY AND
 > EVEN SOCIAL SCIENCES!    (08)

Peirce claimed the following point as the first "rule of reason":    (09)

    Do not block the way of inquiry.    (010)

As I have said in other notes, I am highly suspicious of people
who claim to possess the complete truth.  They are putting blinders
on themselves and others with rigid beliefs that block the way of
inquiry.    (011)