Re: [ontolog-forum] CL, CG, IKL and the relationship between symbols in

To: Duane Nickull <dnickull@xxxxxxxxx>
Cc: "[ontolog-forum] " <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Pat Hayes <phayes@xxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 2 Jan 2008 19:20:17 -0800
>I'm going to take a crack at this too..
>

>On 12/31/07 6:42 PM, "John F. Sowa" <sowa@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>>  Yes.  That is why I use the word 'context' in a very precise
>>  way:  a context is a box (or other enclosure) that delimits
>>  some statement or conjunction of statements that make some
>>  assertion about the many different kinds of things that people
>>  have called contexts.
>
>Context is a set    (01)

You are speaking in the singular. Do you mean to
imply that that is a single thing called
"context" which is a *particular* set?    (02)

>of zero or more qualifiers    (03)

What is a 'qualifier'?    (04)

>that affect various aspects of
>the semantics of a given statement.    (05)

Of the semantics or of the meaning?    (06)

>  Different context qualifiers can impact
>one or more aspects of the semantics of such statements including
>representation terms and concepts.
>
>Example:
>
>A glass of water    (07)

What is this an example of? Is the glass of water
the topic of an ontology, or an example of a
representation of something?    (08)

>Context one:
>
>Glass of water is sitting on your kitchen table.  To the average Western
>observer, it is quite in it's place in this context and is not raised in
>one's internal tuple stores.    (09)

?? What internal tuple stores are you talking
about? I very much doubt if my brain works using
RDF. And what does 'raise' mean?    (010)

>Concept:  water, two molecules of hydrogen bound to one of oxygen in a glass
>container.
>Dangerous: possibly
>State: liquid
>Use: quenching thirst
>Mass: about 200 grams
>
>Context two:
>
>You are driving down the road in sub zero weather and the same glass of
>water is in the middle of the road.    (011)

No, it isn't. Not the SAME glass of water. OK,
these are two different circumstances, and if
fully described in an ontological formalism would
have very different descriptions. But what his
this fact to do with contexts? Ontologies aren't
living in the world like we are, driving cars and
drinking glasses of water. Living in a changing
world raises a host of new issues that go beyond
ontology engineering. This kind of difference you
describe here is more relevant to KR in AI than
to ontology engineering.    (012)

Here's a quick way to say the difference between
OE and AI. In many AI applications, a reasoner is
living IN a changing world, one that it needs to
perceive and act in. In OE applications, the job
of the ontology is to DESCRIBE possibly-changing
worlds, but not to live IN them.    (013)

>   Since it represents a hazard for your
>vehicle, you raise it to the highest layers of consciousness in your
>internal tuple stores and give it active attention.    (014)

Ah, this is what 'raise' means? OK, but what has
this to do with ontologies? AFAIK, the notion of
attention simply doesn't arise in mechanical
reasoning.    (015)

>Concept: same as above
>Dangerous: yes
>state: solid
>Mass: at 100 kph, possibly as high as 4 kg.
>
>I am not sure if this really conveys what my meaning of context is however
>it might be something to aggregate to the holding pen of a context
>definition.
>
>Duane
>

>--
>"Speaking only for myself"
>Senior Technical Evangelist - Adobe Systems, Inc.
>Blog - http://technoracle.blogspot.com
>Community Music - http://www.mix2r.com
>My Band - http://www.myspace.com/22ndcentury
>Adobe MAX 2008 - http://technoracle.blogspot.com/2007/08/adobe-max-2008.html

IHMC            (850)434 8903 or (650)494 3973   home
40 South Alcaniz St.    (850)202 4416   office
phayesAT-SIGNihmc.us       http://www.ihmc.us/users/phayes    (017)