Re: [ontolog-forum] CL, CG, IKL and the relationship between symbols in

To: Pat Hayes <phayes@xxxxxxx>
Cc: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Duane Nickull <dnickull@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 07 Jan 2008 12:08:09 -0800
Pat:    (01)

I have read your paper and found it great.  The section on Contextual Logics
and Deductive Contexts outlines what my understanding of context is.  John
McCarthy specifically seems to identify the same beliefs I have.  The
supercontext and constrained subcontext are in fact close to some of the
notions used in CCTS.    (02)

I would still like to proceed with a day whereby we can get some talks on
this topic (perhaps by John and others such as yourself and John Black).    (03)

Duane    (04)

On 1/3/08 11:02 AM, "Pat Hayes" <phayes@xxxxxxx> wrote:    (05)

>> Answers inline:

>>>  You are speaking in the singular. Do you mean to
>>>  imply that that is a single thing called
>>>  "context" which is a *particular* set?
>> DN: The manner in which CCTS did this is to establish there were 8 major
>> factors that influenced the manner in which a generalized data element
>> concept becomes a very specific data element.  This was referred to as the
>> context which implied a set of things.  It was deemed non-exclusive as there
>> was no way to know if it was complete.

>>>  What is a 'qualifier'?
>> DN: It is a UN/CEFACT term.  It roughly translates to an external force or
>> asepct of context
>
> Wait. You are here defining "context". You cannot appeal to an
> 'aspect of context' in the very definition of context.
>
>> which has a specialization effect on the instance being
>> discussed.
>
> Oh, well then that is far too limiting as part of a general
> definition, as contexts can do far more than this. A conversational
> context, for example, can introduce entities into the common ground
> that were not present before. In Cyc's 'microtheory' view of
> contexts, a context can change the meaning of a word in many ways,
> not always restrictive.
>
>>  Example:  If I am an instance of the human class (some say this
>> might be a stretch), and was in Canada, this makes me a Canadian human,
>> being more specific than a mere human.

>>>  Of the semantics or of the meaning?
>> DN: Specifically in UN/CEFACT terms, it modifies the semantics by making the
>> instance more specialized for the specific context.  A generic date data
>> element can be refined and constrained to be a "PurchaseOrder.Ship.Date"
>> which is a type of date that takes on additional characteristics.
>>
>> Note that all of the preceding are done during the modeling work to refine
>> metadata by making the semantics of data elements more specialized.
>
> Um... I think we are at cross purposes about what "semantics" means.
> In my terms, none of this changes the semantics (in fact, it would be
> part of the semantics). But OK, I get the idea.

>>>  What is this an example of? Is the glass of water
>>>  the topic of an ontology, or an example of a
>>>  representation of something?
>> DN: An instance of a class of either a taxonomy of ontology.
>
> OK, I see. The class of glasses of water. But one cannot see a class,
> or have it sitting on one's kitchen table.
>
>>  Perhaps this
>> is not the best example as I noted after I wrote it.

>>>  ?? What internal tuple stores are you talking
>>>  about? I very much doubt if my brain works using
>>>  RDF. And what does 'raise' mean?
>>>
>> DN: an analogy to say that you would not raise it in your general level of
>> awareness in this context as there is nothing that strikes you as unusual or
>> out of place.  OTOH, if you were very thirsty, you may immediately fixate
>> your attention on this object.
>
> OK, but what has all this got to do with what (I thought) we were
> [...]

"Speaking only for myself"
Senior Technical Evangelist - Adobe Systems, Inc.
Blog - http://technoracle.blogspot.com
Community Music - http://www.mix2r.com
My Band - http://www.myspace.com/22ndcentury
Adobe MAX 2008 - http://technoracle.blogspot.com/2007/08/adobe-max-2008.html