Re: [ontolog-forum] Start thinking about the 2008 Ontology Summit

To: "[ontolog-forum] " <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Bill Andersen <andersen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 22 Dec 2007 13:50:07 -0500
Hi John...    (01)

A couple of comments.    (02)

On Dec 22, 2007, at 12:06 , John F. Sowa wrote:    (03)

> Common Logic is something that practitioners can begin using
> today.  Although I encourage projects like IFF for the long term,
> there are many short-term projects that can be implemented now:
>
>  1. Adapt the RDF and OWL tools to generate Common Logic as
>     a notation for internal processing.  The CL notation is
>     more compact and efficient for high-performance processing
>     of large volumes of data.    (04)

I don't see how CL notation would be any more suited to high-
performance processing than RDF or OWL.  If I were building CL, RDF or
OWL implementations, I'd work with whatever internal representation
(i.e. data structures) and algorithms got the job done consistent with
the specs.    (05)

>  2. Write translators from UML and SQL to Common Logic.
>     That would facilitate the integration of both with the
>     Semantic Web tools as well as the huge numbers of working
>     systems that were designed in UML and use relational
>     databases.    (06)

Presumably you're talking about the positive fragment of SQL, since
SQL's "NOT IN" is non-monotonic negation.  If NM constructs are
included, then the compliance story wrt CL is not so easy to tell.    (07)

   .bill    (08)

Bill Andersen (andersen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx)
Ontology Works, Inc. (www.ontologyworks.com)
3600 O'Donnell Street, Suite 600