Re: [ontolog-forum] brainwaves (WAS: to concept or not to concept, is th

To: Bill Andersen <andersen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: "[ontolog-forum] " <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Pat Hayes <phayes@xxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 17 Dec 2007 19:53:17 -0800
>Hi Pat..
>
>On Dec 17, 2007, at 22:03 , Pat Hayes wrote:
>
>>  All of which suggests to me that any KR system
>>  that has to resort to Skolemization is not
>>  providing the proper engineering support for good
>>  ontology construction.
>>
>>  Comments?
>

>I like the principle on its face, but what about this example AE
>sentence
>
>(forall ((x person)) (exists (y) (and (has x y) (not (part y
>EmpireStateBuilding))))))
>
>True when every person has something that isn't part of the Empire
>State Building.  The function introduced in the form you suggest would
>look pretty contrived    (01)

Well, that's a pretty contrived axiom, seems to
me. If you really wanted to say this for some
reason, then presumably we could make up a name
for it, say (notPartOfEmpireStatePossession x),
which is kind of weird but is still better than
Skolem3457 when looking at long opaque listings.    (02)

Pat    (03)

>-- or at least not so natural as 'fatherOf'.  It
>seems to me the seemingly "natural" cases arise when we're not talking
>about mere existence claims but rather about unique existence claims,
>but that's just a guess.
>
>.bill
>
>Bill Andersen (andersen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx)
>Ontology Works, Inc. (www.ontologyworks.com)
>3600 O'Donnell Street, Suite 600
>Baltimore, MD 21224
>Office: 410-675-1201
>Cell: 443-858-6444

IHMC            (850)434 8903 or (650)494 3973   home
40 South Alcaniz St.    (850)202 4416   office
phayesAT-SIGNihmc.us       http://www.ihmc.us/users/phayes    (05)