Re: [ontolog-forum] brainwaves (WAS: to concept or not to concept, is th

To: "[ontolog-forum] " <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Bill Andersen <andersen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 17 Dec 2007 23:13:19 -0500
John    (01)

This makes sense.  All I was saying was that definite (here I mean
those used for unique existence statements) functions like 'fatherOf'
*seem* more intuitive candidates for Pat's principle.    (02)

And yes, I also agree those 'a'/'an' names are obviously more
informative for human eyes than skolem functions.    (03)

On Dec 17, 2007, at 23:07 , John F. Sowa wrote:    (04)

> Bill,
>
> You could define a systematic naming convention for such cases:
>
>> How about this one, then?
>>
>>      (forall ((x human)) (exists ((y human_arm)) (part x y)))
>>
>> which also violates, for anatomically normal humans, uniqueness.  I
>> believe that the U-Wash Foundational Model of Anatomy (FMA), which is
>> meant to be a normative model of human anatomy, contains many such
>> axioms.
>
> If it's not unique, then name the function aHumanArmOf(x).
>
> If it's unique, then name the function theHeadOf(x).
>
> John

Bill Andersen (andersen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx)
Ontology Works, Inc. (www.ontologyworks.com)
3600 O'Donnell Street, Suite 600