Re: [ontolog-forum] brainwaves (WAS: to concept or not to concept, is th

To: "Patrick Cassidy" <pat@xxxxxxxxx>
Cc: "[ontolog-forum] " <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Pat Hayes <phayes@xxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 17 Dec 2007 19:03:36 -0800
>It will be really nice to watch as they make progress trying to understand
>the brain, with its 10^12 neurons and 1000 connections for each (more or
>less).  But at this point I would really like to understand what's happening
>in some very well-defined and relatively simple 1000-class ontologies when
>they do some reasoning.  Looking at a 50-step proof with dozens of obscurely
>labeled Skolem constants (such as Vampire generates) and trying to follow
>the reasoning is enough challenge for me now.    (01)

Indeed. Which raises an interesting point. Skolem
functions arise from AE sentences, which (as we
were recently reminded) can be re-written using
functions in the first place. If they are written
that way, then those functions can be given much
more intuitive explanatory names. For (a toy)
example, if we say that every man has a father by
writing    (02)

(forall ((x man))(exists ((y man))(Parent y x)))    (03)

then this will be Skolemized to something like    (04)

(forall ((x man))(Parent (skolem4571 x) x))    (05)

whereas if we had used a function in the first place, we might have    (06)

(forall ((x man))(Parent (fatherOf x) x))    (07)

as our axiom.    (08)

All of which suggests to me that any KR system
that has to resort to Skolemization is not
providing the proper engineering support for good
ontology construction.    (09)

Comments?    (010)

PatH    (011)

>Pat
>
>Patrick Cassidy
>MICRA, Inc.
>908-561-3416
>cell: 908-565-4053
>cassidy@xxxxxxxxx

IHMC            (850)434 8903 or (650)494 3973   home
40 South Alcaniz St.    (850)202 4416   office
phayesAT-SIGNihmc.us       http://www.ihmc.us/users/phayes    (013)