Re: [ontolog-forum] brainwaves (WAS: to concept or not to concept, is th

To: "Pat Hayes" <phayes@xxxxxxx>
Cc: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: paola.dimaio@xxxxxxxxx
Date: Tue, 18 Dec 2007 20:27:54 +0700
Thanks Pat    (01)

phew
I did not realise that brainwaves was your side expertise    (02)

> >(ontology for the brain link?)
>
> link? An ontology for all of brain science would be huge. I would
> have no idea how to even start such a giant project.

gotta be done Pat - in fact I think the knowledge is already half there
it just needs to be published in a rational format    (03)

> >not responding)
>
> There isn't any.    (04)

Ha - ther isnt any established as yet  that we know of at this point in time    (05)

But the EEG 'waves' pass through this connected network in
> fairly regular rhythms, which are much slower than single neuron
> firings. Heres an analogy: a huge crowd or people all talking to one
> another and moving about. For some reason, when you watch this crowd
> from high above, you can see that some of them are pointing in the
> same direction, and at any given moment there is a preponderance of
> people all looking north, say, forming a kind of vague 'stripe' in
> the crowd, and that this 'stripe' (which you will call a
> direction-wave) moves through the crowd slowly and regularly. At one
> time, all the people *there* are looking north, then a bit later all
> the people *there* (slightly to the south of the first place) are
> looking north, and so on. The people don't move south, but the
> preponderance of north-lookers "moves" in a southerly direction, like
> a wave passing through the ocean. You can time it, in fact, and draw
> a graph of it, and it seems to have a definite 'beat', with a
> definite frequency, which is much slower than the rate at which the
> people themselves move and talk. Nobody really knows why this
> happens, but it often does. EEG waves are like that.    (06)

Look forward to discovery and knowledge representation of this subject
on the web

PDM