Re: [ontolog-forum] brainwaves (WAS: to concept or not to concept, is th

To: "[ontolog-forum] " <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Gary Berg-Cross" <gary.berg-cross@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 17 Dec 2007 23:29:41 -0500
On gauging the progress in neuroscience one might look at things that came out
of the "Decade of the Brain"    (01)

But then again it  may prove your point.     (02)

>From 1990 to the end of 1999, the Library of Congress and the National
>Institute of Mental Health of the National Institutes of Health sponsored an
>"interagency initiative" to advance the goals set forth in a proclamation
><http://lcweb.loc.gov/loc/brain/proclaim.html>  by President George Bush
>designating the 1990s as the Decade of the Brain, whose goal was  "to enhance
>public awareness of the benefits to be derived from brain research" through
>"appropriate programs, ceremonies, and activities."    (03)

It seems marked by an extraordinary increase in the visibility of neuroscience
and growth in the number of scientists identifying themselves as
neuroscientists, but not the type of knowledge we prize in cognitive science.    (04)

More work was done on brain-related disorders which do account for the majority
of long-term health costs and hospitalizations, ( fifty million Americans
affected by a brain disorder such as Alzheimer's yearly )     (05)

For the Top 10 Discoveries from Decade of the Brain    (06)

See http://www.lcmedia.com/mind168.htm and Science 30 April 199: Vol. 284. no.
5415, p. 739    (07)

Has an article " Assessing the Decade of the Brain by Edward G. Jones and Lorne
M. Mendell.    (08)

Maybe we'll have another decade of focus soon, but I see that the Krasnow
Institute for Advanced Study at George Mason University had a Symposium on the
"Decade of the Mind" more recently ( May 21 & 22, 2007).    (09)

 Gary Berg-Cross, Ph.D.    (010)

Potomace MD    (011)