Re: [ontolog-forum] electric sheep

To: "Azamat" <abdoul@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: "[ontolog-forum] " <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Pat Hayes <phayes@xxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 9 Nov 2007 16:05:57 -0600
>John and Pat,
>
>To create the World Description Framework for knowledge machines and
>semantic systems is hardly possible    (01)

I tend to agree with that sentiment, if your sentence were to end there.    (02)

>without understanding the real nature of
>ontology. Namely, that it studies the being of everything which exists and
>changes; that it is the general account of reality, the world, the universe,
>or all existence; that it is pure, abstract, or theoretical science; that it
>increases the world knowledge, unfolds new basic truths, develops new
>sciences and technology, like semantic web, and affords consistent world
>representation; that it is a productive science rather than critical, as
>formal logic; that it is universal language for all sciences    (03)

Fogive me butting in at this point, but this is
simply nonsensical raving. To claim to be doing
the one true science of everything which is at
the same time universal, true and abstract, is
silly. If modern science has any single lesson,
it is that there is no such universal science.
For example, such a subject, if it existed, would
have to encompass at least the long-sought but as
yet undiscovered Grand Unified Theory of physics,
for example. If you have done this, you should be
publishing in physics journals, and you will soon
have a Nobel prize.    (04)

This is not what ontology engineering is about. I
sincerely wish you would communicate with a
different forum which is devoted to whatever it
is that you do.    (05)

>; that it yields
>the most comprehensive K&R language for machines; and that it is not just a
>vocabulary, a catalog of common terms, taxonomy, terminology,
>conceptualization, conceptual analysis, model, and what not.
>
>I am curious, while pushing the common logic, do you mean one logic to all
>fields of knowledge, fitting ontology, maths, physics, ethics, politics,
>history, etc., or something else.    (06)

Logic is (and always has been) what one might
call subject-matter-neutral. So yes, it can be
applied to all these fields, and many others.
However, it is not itself a THEORY in any of
these fields. It does not make logical statements
or claims which are relevant to any of ontology,
physics, ethics, etc..    (07)

Pat    (08)

>Thanks in advance.
>
>Azamat

IHMC            (850)434 8903 or (650)494 3973   home
40 South Alcaniz St.    (850)202 4416   office
phayesAT-SIGNihmc.us       http://www.ihmc.us/users/phayes    (010)