Re: [ontolog-forum] Model or Reality

To: "[ontolog-forum] " <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Christopher Menzel <cmenzel@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 12 Aug 2007 13:46:17 -0500

On Aug 12, 2007, at 1:28 PM, Jon Awbrey wrote:
> John,
>
> Well, just to be picky -- it's apparenly caching -- Kant, among
> others, tells us that the correspondence theory of truth was
> roundly lampooned already in ancient times,    (01)

Which just goes to show that even great philosophers can say
ridiculous things (and Kant said more than a few).    (02)

> and Peirce invites the reader to his inquiry on truth by mentioning
> the correspondence theory, but immediately adds that this can
> afford nothing more than a "nominal definition" of truth.    (03)

It seems to me that Peirce's own fallibilism and his conception of
truth as the ideal limit of scientific inquiry presupposes the key
philosophical foundation of the correspondence theory, viz., that
there is an objective external world that determines whether or not
the things we say are true or false.    (04)

-chris    (05)