Re: [ontolog-forum] Model or Reality

To: "[ontolog-forum] " <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Azamat" <abdoul@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 9 Aug 2007 22:25:38 +0300
Avril made a good point which seemingly missed the formal logicians' ears:
''Now we must separate ontological truth and truth about accidental things
in nature'.    (01)

To explain the point, Ontological truth is the relationship (agreement,
conformity, correspondence, mapping) between reality and the mind. Unlike
the truths of mathematics and formal logics, which are purely formal and
without any reference to real meanings, ontological truths are purely
substantial marked with direct reference to real existence.    (02)

Consequently, the task of ontology is to produce the truest fundamental
explanatory schemas of all reality, giving the primal rules of all special
truths. According to Aquinas, truth is defined as an equation (agreement,
correspondence) between the mind (intellect, thought, cognition) and reality
(being, thing, entity), where the nature of things or the intellect may be
alternatively the measure and rule of each other. Although the truth as a
relative entity can reside both in the mind and in the real world, the truth
in the intellect (as logical truths) can not be the cause of the truth in
things (as ontological truths); for the truth or falsity of the statement
(that somebody is) first depends on the fact of the somebody's being or not
being. The ontological verities as the basic laws of reality occupy the
highest level in the hierarchy of the kinds of truth: mental, logical,
mathematical, semantic, verbal, scientific, empirical as well as moral,
ethical, esthetic, and religious. A case of religious truth is the
invocation, "There is no God but Allah and Muhammad is his messenger",
falling into the inclusive ontological statement, "There is no Entity but
Being and Relationship is its agency".
The explicit cases of ontological truths admitted by modern sciences are as
follows:    (03)

1. there are things or (entities) in the world;    (04)

2. all things have parts and properties;    (05)

3. everything changes with respect to properties;    (06)

4. the world and its entities can be in different states;    (07)

5. things exist in various relationships with each other;    (08)

6. there are changes in which substances participate;    (09)

7. changes (or events) exist as causing other changes;    (010)

8. time and space are sorts of relationships;    (011)

9. causality is the basic mechanism of the world changes;    (012)

10. the world is organized into several levels: physical, chemical,
bilogical, cognitive, social, and informational.    (013)

So the quest of underlying real truths, universal and necessary, is the
ultimate goal of fundamental ontology and ontological theories, aimed to
uncover the general knowledge and fundamental laws applicable to all reality
and its basic levels, parts, and domains: natural, psychological, social,
technological, and informational. When applied to information sciences,
computing ontology is bridging the real world and the information universe,
giving the dynamic world modeling fundamentals, principles, constructs,
representations, and schemes for building a new class of intelligent
technologies and knowledge systems.    (014)

Azamat Abdoullaev    (015)