Re: [ontolog-forum] Neuro-ontology, Onto-neurology, and the Semantic Web

To: John Black <JohnBlack@xxxxxxxxxxx>, "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Duane Nickull <dnickull@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 07 Aug 2007 08:32:47 -0700
John:    (01)

(inline)    (02)

On 8/7/07 6:34 AM, "John Black" <JohnBlack@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> But he doesn't stop
> there, he also claims that progress in getting  machines to due similar
> tasks has been severely hampered by the erroneous belief that algorithms and
> calculation could somehow reproduce the functionality of the cortex.    (03)

DN:  I totally agree with this.  This is the basic point I was trying to
make.  I hadn't realized someone else had already gone there.  I find a lot
of ontology work related to the notion that defining logic is the first step
of a process to replicate the human existence inside an application,
bestowing cognitive, precognitive and learning capabilities to a pile of
code.  A pile of code still seems to miss something (perhaps intuition of
precognitive capabilities?).    (04)

When analyzing the real world, I find the preposition of access to all truth
and knowledge in totality, then filtering out the applicable statements at
time of need, suboptimal.  As a former world class athlete (downhill
mountain bike racing), instinct was much more important in a race than
thinking.  You simply do not have time to calculate in some instances
therefore the whole model of calculations to solve a problem becomes moot.
Sure some of it happens subconsciously (my motto used to be jump first,
figure out the landing later).    This lead to a few accidents including
several concussions which may explain my interest in computational studies
;-)    (05)

> I think this is relevant to ontology and logic both when it comes to the
> ability to choose and interpret symbols to use to identify the things about
> which the ontology and logic are about.    (06)

DN: Again find myself in agreement but this is a rather abstract statement
and hence hard to find fault with.  I would assert that there seems to be an
aspect that transcends ontology and computational intelligence as we know it
but I find thinking about how you think is actually one of the hardest
activities. Even separating emotions from identity is difficult.    (07)

This sort of becomes a quasi philosophical discussion akin to existentialism
( Kierkegaard and Nietzsche et al).    (08)

Duane
"Speaking only for myself"
Blog - http://technoracle.blogspot.com
Community Music - http://www.mix2r.com