Re: [ontolog-forum] Current Semantic Web Layer Cake

To: rick@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Ontolog <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Jon Awbrey <jawbrey@xxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 06 Aug 2007 23:06:17 -0400
o~~~~~~~~~o~~~~~~~~~o~~~~~~~~~o~~~~~~~~~o~~~~~~~~~o~~~~~~~~~o    (01)

Richard,    (02)

Your mention of Peirce's "commons" brings to mind Aristotle's
notion of the ''sensus communis''.  Awbrey & Awbrey discuss
this a bit in the first two papers listed here:    (03)

http://ontolog.cim3.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?JonAwbrey#nid12VU    (04)

Jon Awbrey    (05)

Richard Murphy wrote:

> Christopher Menzel wrote:

> >>Plenty. As with most of our prior creations, we make machines in
> >>our own
> >>image. Include software, mathematics and logic in this class of
> >>machines. Peirce's manuscripts develop semiotics directly from how we
> >>understand the world. We think in signs, as do machines.
> >>
> >>When we're lucky enough to have intersection between sender and
> >>receiver, information flows easily. Otherwise, information sharing
> >>is a
> >>problem in knowledge, perception and belief, to steal a phrase from
> >>Dretske.
> >

> > Interesting observations to be sure, though I can't see that any of
> > them addresses the question of how it is that understanding how the
> > brain, e.g., stores memories or keeps the heart beating or processes
> > visual and auditory information will aid us in developing tools to
> > facilitate information sharing and integration.  Nothing you say even
> > mentions brain function.
> >
> > -chris
>
> I can't say much about memories or heart beats, but in cognition we use
> signs in processing visual, auditory and other sensory inputs. In
> computation, machines use signs in processing inputs from sensors,
> sockets, etc. So it's signs that provide the link between cognition and
> information sharing.
>
> In addition to signs, there are many other links, such as the similarity
> between intersection and understanding. Consider the following
> definition of an information channel from Barwise and Seligman's
> Information Flow: The Logic of Distributed Systems.
>
> "An Information Channel consists of an indexed family of infomorphisms
> with a common codomain C, called the core of the channel."
>
> then consider the following Peirce quote from 1906:
>
> "There is the Intentional Interpretant, which is a determination of the
> mind of the utterer; the Effectional Interpretant, which is a
> determination of the mind of the interpreter, and the Communicational
> Interpretant, or say Cominterpretant, which is a determination of that
> mind into which the minds of the utterer and the interpreter have to be
> fused in order that any communication should take place. This mind may
> be called the commons. It consists off all that is an must be, well
> understood between the utter and interpreter, at the outset, in order
> that the sign in question should fulfill its function. This I proceed to
> explain."
>
> The similarities between the core and the commens are striking. It's
> getting to late to go into more detail tonight, so I hope you'll have
> the opportunity to read a short paper I recently wrote that says more
> about information flow as a formalization of information sharing. You
> can find it here:
>
> http://www.rickmurphy.org/iffe-paper.pdf
>
> I enjoy reading your posts and value your perspective. I hope you'll
> have the time to share your thoughts on the paper.

> [...]

inquiry e-lab: http://stderr.org/pipermail/inquiry/
¢iare: http://www.centiare.com/Directory:Jon_Awbrey
getwiki: http://www.getwiki.net/-UserTalk:Jon_Awbrey
zhongwen wp: http://zh.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Jon_Awbrey