Re: [ontolog-forum] Current Semantic Web Layer Cake

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Kingsley Idehen <kidehen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 06 Aug 2007 11:14:25 -0400
Frank Guerino wrote:
> Hi Danny,
>
> Some comments, below...
>

> On 8/5/07 4:22 AM, "Danny Ayers" <danny.ayers@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>

> > We have something approaching standardisation on protocol (HTTP)
>
> HTTP is by no means the type of protocol that will allow "systems" to
> communicate and interact with each other in such a way that will get
> them to where they need to be for the vision of Semantic Web. HTTP is
> a lower order protocol for simple put/get data to/from a system.
>
> > and document representation (HTML). There are still a large variety of
> > data representations, but many are becoming available as XML syntax.
>
> Again, this is also true with HTML, which is rudimentary, at best. For
> systems to interact, there will have to be highly defined
> dictionaries, grammars, languages, context analyzers, protocols of
> interaction, and so much more. Think of how the brain works and how it
> breaks down information and also how it uses it to categorize, store,
> structure, correlate, index, find, recall, aggregate, transform,
> format, render, etc. everything it works with. And, this does not even
> get into the more complex aspects of how it takes all of this and
> correlates it to motor skills, senses, communication with other
> entities, etc.
>
> > The step to using a common baseline data model such as RDF may seem
> > improbable, but I personally believe that the gains it offers are
> > becoming visible enough to encourage widespread adoption.
> >
> > I think an important point to bear in mind is that
> there_will_be_a_future!
> > There is everything to suggest that the future Web will involve more
> > connectivity between services and increased access to data that is
> > currently hidden in silos. There will be a "Web 3.0", how much energy
> > has to be spent getting there is another matter...
> >
> > The advantage of using RDF and associated techniques over arbitrary
> > data representations is that when a new service or repository is added
> > it's automatically part of the whole, without having to connecting to
> > a matrix of X^2 different representations.
> >
> > This doesn't mean every data/document producer has to publish RDF
> > directly, or that when they do it has to be hard work. Tools for
> > semi-automatically mapping from RDBMSs are available, and the GRDDL
> > technique [1] allows existing XML material to be viewed as RDF without
> > *any* additional work from individual publishers, just a one-off tweak
> > to the namespace document.
>
> Danny, I get you're point. However, take a look at what RDF is really
> all about... It's about "Relationships". Most systems in the world
> don't know how to capture, define, standardize, categorize, store,
> communicate, etc. relationships. The world is still struggling with
> the simplest of issues, which is dealing with flat content. In order
> for RDF to really work, not only do systems have to speak the same
> data dictionary language for flat content, they also now need to
> [...]
Frank,    (01)

RDF Middleware can (and does) deal with the issue of producing and
deploying RDF based Linked Data.    (02)

RDF (imho) standardizes the move towards making Concrete Conceptual Data
Models the focal point of data interaction. Note, Apple achieved this
eons ago with EOF (but it was landlocked in the NeXT realm). More
recently, Microsoft has started to push the very same approach via
ADO.vNext and initiatives such as Astoria Data Services (ultimately
landlocked). I see RDF as the platform agnostic framework for
interconnected Conceptual Data Models based on Web Architecture (no
landlock whatsoever).    (03)

Today, you can convert non RDF into RDF Linked data (as stated earlier)
via a number of middleware technologies:    (04)

1. GRDDL - for (X)HTML
2. Various RDFizers covering everything from SQL DBMS engines to
spreadsheets and Web Services    (05)

The final piece of this puzzle is the deployment of RDF Linked data,
this is a sticky issue because it ultimately redefines some of the
features of the traditional Web Server. For instance, the Server has to
be capable of the following:    (06)

1. Content Negotiation via HTTP
2. URL Rewriting
3. Pluggable Binding to RDFizers    (07)

I have written extensively about the "No RDF Tax" issue in a number of
blog posts and demos over the last 12 months, I am also completing a
white paper that provides a real life example of deploying SQL data as
RDF Linked Data based on the popular Northwind SQL Database.    (08)

Putting RDF to use isn't easy (i.e. deploying as URI dereferencable
Linked Data), but it is achievable with the right technology. RDF simply
demands newer thinking re. server architecture.    (09)

--     (010)

Regards,    (011)

Kingsley Idehen       Weblog: http://www.openlinksw.com/blog/~kidehen
President & CEO