Re: [ontolog-forum] Current Semantic Web Layer Cake

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Danny Ayers" <danny.ayers@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 7 Aug 2007 10:39:39 +0200
On 06/08/07, Frank Guerino <Frank.Guerino@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:    (01)

>  The brain (its capabilities & behaviors) is the key to a successful
> Semantic Web.    (02)

I doubt it, in the sense you mean (the SW wouldn't be much use to
anyone without the brains attached). But I don't doubt that
discoveries that may be very useful to the SW can be made by
experimenting with analogies to brain function.    (03)

>  XML, RDF, OWL, etc. are all human interpretations of trying to break down
> data representation in such a way that they mimic what the brain can do, in
> a highly simplified manner, in hopes of allowing machines to perform the
> basic work that a brain can.    (04)

I'd flip this around 180 degrees. XML, RDF, OWL, etc.  are playing to
what computers excel at rather than mimicing what the brain is good
at. This seems to be the single biggest message of the last few
decades of AI - there's a lot more to be gained from augmenting human
capabilities (both individual and social) than trying to imitate them
on the computer.    (05)

But it does depend on how you look at it. The arithmetic a pocket
calculator can do could be considered a simplified form of mental
arithmetic...    (06)

Cheers,
Danny.    (07)

http://dannyayers.com    (09)