Re: [ontolog-forum] Terminology Question concerning WebArchitecture and

To: "Azamat Abdoullaev" <abdoul@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: "[ontolog-forum] " <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Pat Hayes <phayes@xxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 25 Jul 2007 12:31:03 -0500
>Some comments below.
>Regards,
>Azamat

That is not the chief division between them. I agree that alone would
not amount to much. The big issue is the endurantist's notion of a
'continuant'. This is an entity which fully exists at every time it
exists, and has no temporal duration or structure, yet endures
through time; its properties are not temporally relative, yet they
may differ at different times. This idea, if taken seriously,
requires one to re-build the foundations of temporal logic. I have
not yet seen a coherent formalization which does this notion justice,
in fact. As others on this list have urged, it requires one to
re-think what it means for something to exist in time; or to admit
two fundamentally different ways or modes of being in time.    (02)

>  Although, it
>might be funny for the fiction writers to apply such ideas to time travel or
>Original Sin, or something of this irreal topic. Now imagine that You ( a
>sequence of temporal parts as well) are responsible for the Adam and Eve's
>sins, just because humanity is a temporally continous whole, where each
>temporal part is liable for misdeeds of other temporal parts.
>This issues presents only some special aspects of the standard ontological
>problem of change and identity, which can be principally solved just by
>fundamental, or universal ontology.    (03)

Well, I look forward to seeing yet another proposal for tackling this
long-standing issue. :-)    (04)

Pat    (05)

phayesAT-SIGNihmc.us       http://www.ihmc.us/users/phayes    (07)