Re: [ontolog-forum] notes and rumours

To: "John F. Sowa" <sowa@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: "[ontolog-forum] " <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Pat Hayes <phayes@xxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 2 Jul 2007 23:16:06 -0500
>Wacek,
>
>Whenever you find an article in a popular magazine or newspaper,
>you can often find more technical articles on the same topic
>by typing in the names of any researchers who are mentioned.
>
>In this case, I got 887 hits from Google when I typed "Jay Neitz"
>(including the quotes) and another 716 for "Gabriele Jordan".
>Many of them are relevant.
>
>In particular, some of the especially sensitive women were
>discovered by an interesting strategy:  testing the mothers
>of males who had red-green color blindness.   Some of them
>apparently had unusual X chromosomes, which when paired with
>another X gave them super sensitivity, but resulted in
>red-green color blindness when paired with a Y chromosome.
>
>This implies the contrary of Pat's remark that the underlying
>perceptions are more constant than the linguistic terminology.
>There is a very wide range of sensitivity among humans (and
>even more among other animals), but people learn to correlate
>their words with color patches despite the fact that they have
>very different abilities.    (01)

Eyes certainly differ, and color acuities differ,
and there are cultural differences in color
boundaries and color terms: but still all human
cultures agree to a remarkable extent on what are
the 'most typical' or archetypical colors. The
bright red, blue and yellow that we all know, and
use to indicate fire engines and school buses and
police signals, are also recognized as color
prototypes even by people whose culture has no
word for our 'yellow'. A bright mid-green is also
seen as a typical color by almost all cultures.
On the other hand, only Isaac Newton seems to
have been able to distinguish purple from indigo.    (02)

Pat    (03)

IHMC            (850)434 8903 or (650)494 3973   home
40 South Alcaniz St.    (850)202 4416   office
phayesAT-SIGNihmc.us       http://www.ihmc.us/users/phayes    (05)