Re: [ontolog-forum] to concept or not to concept, is this a question?

To: "[ontolog-forum] " <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Doug Holmes <dholmes@xxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2007 14:25:23 -0700

On Jun 14, 2007, at 1:02 PM, Waclaw Kusnierczyk wrote:    (01)

> Ingvar Johansson wrote:
>> When we simply speak about the world and are
>> immediately understood, we need not mention either meanings or
>> concepts.
>> But if communication breaks down, questions such as 'what do you
>> mean?'
>> and 'what concept do you have in mind?' comes naturally.
>
> Honestly?  Have you ever heard a question like 'what concept do you
> have
> in mind?' in a situation other than after your using the word
> 'concept'?    (02)

Frequently, and in some cases, the term is quite technical["jargon"];
in others, it is a handy generalization.  Military persons, for
example, speak of an "operations concept" that is a fairly
significant portion of a military plan has specific parts; plays a
particular role; is distinct from other operations concepts and is
expected to - and often does - create some pretty concrete effects.
Engineering persons speak of system concepts to describe a
significant portion of system requirements and use it to - eventually
- build reliable artifacts. Down the road from, in Hollywood, people
buy and sell concepts.  Etc., etc.  If one were to create an ontology
for any of these domains, those people would almost certainly think
some important things were missing...
Doug