Re: [ontolog-forum] to concept or not to concept, is this a question?

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Ingvar Johansson <ingvar.johansson@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2007 20:48:21 +0200
Pat Hayes schrieb (as an answer to Paola Di Maio's question) :
>> What are you going to substitute concept with?
>>

> Nothing. Im going to do without it. I don't know
> what they are, these concept-thingies.     (01)

When two words or terms are synonymous, then they have something in
common, their *meaning*. But one can just as well say that they have a
*concept* in common. When we simply speak about the world and are
immediately understood, we need not mention either meanings or concepts.
But if communication breaks down, questions such as 'what do you mean?'
and 'what concept do you have in mind?' comes naturally. Also, if one
wants to talk *about the use of language* one needs the concepts of
'meaning' and 'concept'.    (02)

Disagreeing with Pat and Barry - best wishes,
Ingvar    (03)