Re: [ontolog-forum] to concept or not to concept, is this a question?

To: "[ontolog-forum] " <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Rex Brooks <rexb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 15 Jun 2007 11:16:26 -0700
Hi Folks,    (01)

I've been very busy recently, so I haven't been following discussions
as much as usual. I think I've read most of this thread now and I
have to admit that I was not aware that the word "concept" was such a
problem. I also have to admit that my own preference is the second
defintion cited in my ancient Merriam-Webster Ninth New Collegiate
Dictionary: an abstract or generic idea generalized from a particular
instances.    (02)

I have no problem citing that definition to make it clear when I use
the term what exactly I mean. I suspect I must also cite the
definition I use for the word "idea" in this context, the fourth
definition from the same source: a formulated thought or opinion.    (03)

The only distinction I would add is that my use of idea specifically
embodies a formulation, or model, expressed in some tangible way,
usually in language and/or graphical notation in a diagram.    (04)

It would be very inconvenient for me to give up this term, so I guess
I'm stuck with reiterating what I mean by my use of it at least once,
the first time (like an acronym) whenever I use it in a paper or
presentation.    (05)

Cheers,
Rex    (06)

Rex Brooks