Re: [ontolog-forum] Two ontologies that are inconsistent but bothneeded

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: paola.dimaio@xxxxxxxxx
Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2007 16:03:38 +0700
Hi Barry

I think the discussion has moved on -

I would agree that continuants and occurrants, like most things that we observe
are relative to our time-space standpoint, so relative to what we are trying to model, why and what artifacts
we choose etc

lung deterioration is a state,( state as defined by the object model) so
state is a property of an object

http://www.objs.com/x3h7/omgcore.htm

a state is caused by a process, which sometimes is external to a model
(if I take a snapshot of the lung now, i am modelling its state
if I take a graph of the disease as it develops, then I am modelling a process)

I think the only point worth carrying forward in this discussion perhaps is:
should we integrate views/models?

reference to forthcoming research:

ACM Home Page

Bridging the gap between the model-driven architecture and ontology engineering
Source International Journal of Human-Computer Studies archive
Volume 65 ,  Issue 7  (July 2007) table of contents
Pages: 595-609
Year of Publication: 2007
ISSN:1071-5819
Authors
Stephen Cranefield  Department of Information Science, University of Otago, P.O. Box 56, Dunedin, New Zealand
Jin Pan  Department of Information Science, University of Otago, P.O. Box 56, Dunedin, New Zealand

The bodies of snow involved in the avalanche flow are continuants.

>Well, surely waves are continuants, but freak waves 30 meters high are
>occurrents, right?

If waves are continuants, then all kinds of waves
are continuants. The process whereby the (sum of
molecules of water making the) freak wave reach
up to 30 meters is an occurrent.

>Avalanches may appear occurrents because we are
>not able to observe the pattern of recurrence.
>Assuming a long time continuum, and a
>measurement that establishes causes we may
>observe that avalances are also continuants,
>given certain conditions and appropriate time-space dimension

Cyclical occurrents, repeated occurrents,
slow-moving occurrents are all still occurrents.
(Every type of occurrent is also an occurrent;
every part of an occurrent is also an occurrent.)

>The lung cell deterioration is obviously a state

process

>, caused by certain (unkonwn) conditions, the
>occurrence may in fact be the condition that causes the state
You are introducing new technical terms ('state',
'condition', on the fly); please define.
BS