Re: [ontolog-forum] Two ontologies that are inconsistentbutbothneeded

To: "'[ontolog-forum] '" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Chris Partridge" <mail@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 10 Jun 2007 11:30:44 +0100

Paolo,

I apologise if I suggested your comment was out of place. It is quite the opposite.

There is an argument (briefly referred to in Barry’s paper) that the continuant-occurrent distinction has its roots in common sense.

I think your comments nicely illustrated that you have intuitions about this – and are useful in assessing how common sense can help us here.

If you can recollect why you made these decisions, I think it would be interesting and pertinent to the discussion.

John’s definitions are reasonably standard – but I think offer little help in deciding whether normal or freak waves are continuants. However, they are useful in setting the rules to follow when you have made the decision.

My experience is that it is difficult to make the distinction consistently for a range of practical cases. And that the practical solution appears to be a central authority stipulating the answer. However, given I have no faith in the hard (i.e. bicategorical) position, I am not the best person to defend or explain it.

Regards,

Chris