Re: [ontolog-forum] Two ontologies that are inconsistent but bothneeded

To: "'[ontolog-forum] '" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Chris Partridge" <mail@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 9 Jun 2007 10:32:48 +0100

Hi Bill,

Seem comment on point 4) below.

From: ontolog-forum-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:ontolog-forum-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Bill Andersen
Sent: 09 June 2007 02:15
To: [ontolog-forum]
Cc: Pierre Grenon
Subject: Re: [ontolog-forum] Two ontologies that are inconsistent but bothneeded

Hi Pat...

Wow..  That was a lot of writing.  Forgive me if I fail to generate so long a discussion -- it is simply outside my ability.  A couple of comments, though.  And a pre-apology for top-posting, but it's simpler to say what I want as systemic comments on your post rather than a point-for-point response.

1) You called on Barry to consider adopting Quine's doctrine for existence.   To borrow your example from below:

          (ist Morning (that (inside Fritz Bratwurst)))

By this, you are asking the user of your ontology to accept propositions, as they do fall under the quantifiers in IKL.  While I don't have a problem with that (and in fact really like that feature of IKL), this is hardly a benign, pedestrian, work-a-day kind of entity to introduce into the kinds of engineering ontologies that people actually build, cf:

Ive never seen any convincing pragmatic or

engineering argument for insisting on this as a

rigid distinction

But while you find the continuant/occurrent distinction distasteful, you don't seem to mind propositions, the existence of which by the Quine doctrine you are definitely committing to.

2) If the continuant/occurrent distinction doesn't make any difference insofar as our use of terms to refer to temporal phenomena is concerned, then we run into another problem.  So you don't like that distinction.  How about presentism?  Your philosophy is very close to empiricist and verificationist, so I'm guessing (and I admit I could be wrong) you will lean toward presentism.  If you want to construe say, me, as a 4-dimensional object, then presumably you don't believe in the existence of any of my future or past time slices.  Would that be fair to say?

3) As far as "convincing pragmatic or engineering argument" goes, would not such arguments be empirical and/or anecdotal by nature?  If so, then accept the work our ontologists at OW have done as such evidence.  We use every day a bi-categorial upper level of the kind exemplified by BFO, Cyc, and DOLCE, and have found it quite useful, both in teaching and in practice.  If you'd like to see some of these ontologies, we'd be glad to show them to you.

4) Again, following Quine's doctrine, what are these things for which the continuant/occurrent distinction is incoherent?  Presumably, you'd want to be quantifying over some class of objects for which you'd like to state some axioms governing, e.g., property change over time, however that comes out in your favorite formalism.  Then, by Quine's doctrine you're committing to the existence of those things.  Let's call them Continuoccurrents.  Now you have to elaborate your theory of Continuoccurrents and distinguish them from temperatures, numbers, properties, propositions and all the kinds of other things you have in your ontology.  Doesn't sound to me like that project is any less problematic than the defense of either bicategorialism, 4D, or any other metaphysical framework.  By this I mean on a practical, engineering level.

It seems, to me at least, there is a difference between the continuant/occurrent distinction and some of the other choices. These other choices (e.g. 4D) seem to be metaphysical, in that it is difficult to devise an empirical check on whether they are correct. With the continuant/occurrent distinction there seem to be cases that question whether it partitions objects. You know the standard philosophical cases – avalanches and waves – as these have been discussed before. In ontologies that deal with engineering artefact, the same phenomena seems to arise when (when we have a similar structure where) objects are the components for other objects built out. A simple example would be a network of systems, sometimes people see it as the systems networking, sometime people see it as a network that things happen to – e.g. it goes down for a while. To go back to Barry’s example, some biologists see human bodies, e.g. Fritz’s, as a process, with temporal parts – and would find it odd to have to distinguish between Fritz’s body and Fritz’s body’s life. It seems more as if the distinction is about different ways of looking at things, that sometimes can usefully be applied to the same thing.

My personal experience is that when dealing with the large bodies of data that exist in operational systems, when constructing simple taxonomies of the artefacts this data refers to, I am (reasonably) often faced with a problem about which category I want to put them in – and what category to put there more general supertypes that seem to include both occurrents and continuants. Of course, I can devise a practical workaround (for each of these problematic classes of objects, introduce two objects – the object and its life – and ignore feelings that these seem reminiscent of Ptolemy’s major epicycles) but this adds noise.

It also seems to me pragmatic to, when dealing with large systems, try to ‘cut nature at its joints’ and not have too many workarounds making the systems more complicated than they need to be. Hence my suspicions (and maybe Pat’s) of this distinction.

I should add that I think Barry’s paper is excellent – it is just that I cannot see in it a convincing practical case for continuants as a separate category of entities. Also, a minor point:

“The background motivation is, of course, the widespread tendency on the part of contemporary analytical philosophers to believe that they must maximalize ontological parsimony

at all costs. We, in contrast, are not concerned by a motivation of this sort. We are interested not just in the theoretical elegance of ontologies but also in their practical utility. We thus prefer to conceive debates about reduction and reconstruction as belonging to the domain of logical representation rather than to ontology properly conceived.”

 I think Barry exaggerates the position of contemporary analytical philosophers and parsimony. Parsimony has a practical dimension, particularly with regard to knowledge, as is evidenced by, among other things, its use in justifying scientific theories. (e.g. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parsimony  “In science, parsimony is preference for the least complex explanation for an observation. This is generally regarded as good when judging hypotheses. Occam's razor also states the "principle of parsimony".” - As this implies, parsimony limits the reduction of complexity with the requirement for an explanation.) Managing complexity is one of the major issues facing people dealing with large computer systems.

          .bill