Re: [ontolog-forum] Two ontologies that are inconsistent but both needed

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Waclaw Kusnierczyk <Waclaw.Marcin.Kusnierczyk@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 09 Jun 2007 01:37:07 +0200
Pat Hayes wrote:
>> An example is described here:
>>
>> http://ontology.buffalo.edu/smith/articles/persistence.pdf
>>
>> Barry
>
> Hey, nice survey. Utterly wrong in its
> conclusions, but nice :-). I'm happy to welcome
> you to this debate which many of us have been
> involved in for quite a long time. (see for
> example
> http://www.ihmc.us/users/phayes/Endurantism&PerdurantismDebate2002.pdf )    (01)

I must admit I sympathize with most of what Pat said.    (02)

Just to add a few cents:  the notion of 'now' (in the sense of how we
perceive presentness) as a time instant is somewhat incorrect.
The so called 'doctrine of specious present' [1], for example,  claims
that what we perceive as 'now' is not an instant, but rather an interval.    (03)

We may actually not need to talk about time instants at all to describe
the world as we perceive it.    (04)

vQ    (05)

[1] Mundle, C.W.K., Augustine's Pervasive Error Concerning Time,
Philosophy, 1966
(after http://plato.stanford.edu/entries/time-experience/)    (06)