Re: [ontolog-forum] Two ontologies that are inconsistent but both needed

To: "clynch" <clynch@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: "'[ontolog-forum] '" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Pat Hayes <phayes@xxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 13 Jun 2007 17:17:35 -0500
>Barry,
>
>Acts of observations are still Acts. I would assume that all of these Acts
>of observations are occurants (assuming fractures, floods etc are verbs and
>not nouns, or maybe this does not matter in the distinction)?    (01)

Sorry to butt in, but this kind of discussion
illustrates my point. There is absolutely no
ontological-engineering reason why anyone should
ever ask or answer such a question. The
distinction is there only to maintain itself.
Eliminating it simplifies the ontology and
eliminates entire threads of completely pointless
discussion, debate and questioning. There is no
right or wrong answer. The proper answer to "is X
an occurrent or a continuant?" is, both literally
and colloquially, "Whatever."    (02)

If you think it is a continuant, you will prefer to write things like    (03)

(R X time)    (04)

if you like it to be an occurrent, you might prefer to write things like    (05)

(R (at X time))    (06)

Or, you can do both. Up to you. Nothing important
follows from either choice, if you use the right
underlying logic.    (07)

Pat Hayes    (08)

>Cecil

IHMC            (850)434 8903 or (650)494 3973   home
40 South Alcaniz St.    (850)202 4416   office
phayesAT-SIGNihmc.us       http://www.ihmc.us/users/phayes    (010)