Re: [ontolog-forum] Two ontologies that are inconsistent but both needed

To: "Conklin, Don" <don.conklin@xxxxxxxx>
Cc: "[ontolog-forum] " <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Pat Hayes <phayes@xxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2007 15:17:18 -0500
>I find it curious that the more focused this group is on having a
>logically consistent solution that yields mathematically precise
>answers,    (01)

For the record, I don't think any of us would claim that our
ontologies give answers this good.    (02)

>  the more I am thinking that a really 'smart' system would tell
>me that with imperfect (and often downright misleading) data that it
>reasons why a particular event occurs when and how it does, and learns
>with each iteration.    (03)

That sounds like the AI dream of heaven. Ontologies are really neat,
but they aren't miraculous.    (04)

Pat Hayes
IHMC            (850)434 8903 or (650)494 3973   home
40 South Alcaniz St.    (850)202 4416   office
phayesAT-SIGNihmc.us       http://www.ihmc.us/users/phayes    (05)