Re: [ontolog-forum] Probabilistic Ontologies

To: Pat Hayes <phayes@xxxxxxx>
Cc: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "John F. Sowa" <sowa@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 19 Jun 2007 18:59:13 -0400
Pat and Kathy,    (01)

 > Has anyone thought of what a statistical theory would look like
 > if it were built on a constructivist mathematical foundation?
 > (I'm sure the answer is Yes, but I have no idea where to look.)    (02)

Look at Mathematica:    (03)

    http://www.wolfram.com/products/mathematica/history.html
    Wolfram Mathematica: History & Background    (04)

If you type "statistics" on their search bar, you get 17,515 hits.
(Of course, Google gives you 350,000,000 hits, but Mathematica
gives you hits that have been implemented in their system.)    (05)

They have an incredible amount of packages built into the product
and an even larger amount of weird and wonderful mathematical
extensions that have been posted to the WWW by various users.    (06)

The original Mathematica was built on top of Prolog, but over time,
they have evolved their own, very rich logic-programming system
underneath the covers.    (07)

It is a wonderful package for building complex math specifications
-- and immediately simulating them.  If you need better performance,
you can have the system generate programs in Fortran and other
languages.    (08)

It would be an excellent idea to combine Mathematica with IKL
ontologies so that the mathematical aspects could be simulated
as soon as they're defined.  (And they have very pretty graphics
for displaying all the functions they compute.)    (09)